French Ligue 1 side AS Monaco and Paul Pogba have agreed to terminate the midfielder’s contract one year before it was due to expire.
Monaco confirmed the decision on Wednesday, saying the objectives set when Pogba joined the club had been “only partially achieved.”
The 33-year-old former Manchester United and Juventus star joined Monaco in June 2025 on a two-year deal running until June 30, 2027.
His attempt to revive his career in France was, however, disrupted by fitness problems following his return from a doping suspension.
Pogba is currently sidelined with a thigh injury shortly after recovering from a knee problem.
Monaco said both parties had now decided to end their relationship ahead of the new season.
“Having jointly concluded that the objectives initially set were only partially achieved, AS Monaco and Paul Pogba have decided, ahead of the first match of the new season, to bring an end to the contract that was due to run until June 2027,” the club said.
Despite the disappointing outcome, Monaco praised Pogba’s professionalism and influence within the squad.
The club said the 2018 World Cup winner displayed a “remarkable mindset” and determination while sharing his experience with younger players.
Monaco chief executive Thiago Scuro admitted the move had not produced the result the club initially hoped for but praised Pogba’s attitude throughout his spell.
Pogba also thanked the club, teammates, staff and supporters, describing the opportunity to represent Monaco as an “incredible experience.”
The Frenchman, who won the 2018 World Cup with France, previously enjoyed successful spells at Juventus and Manchester United before injuries and a doping suspension derailed his career.
His departure now leaves the former France international searching for another opportunity to continue his playing career.


