By Tolulope Oke
Seventeen suspected bandits and 10 police officers were killed on Monday after security operatives engaged a heavily armed group moving from Zamfara State into Kebbi State.
Two civilians also died in the clash around the Rafin Makuku axis of Sakaba Local Government Area of Kebbi State, while two police officers sustained injuries.
The attackers were said to have moved from the Sangeko Gap area of Dansadau District in Maru Local Government Area of Zamfara State.
Residents estimated the group at about 240 armed men travelling on more than 200 motorcycles.
A resident of Makuku, Musa Sani, said the bandits moved in three formations and camped overnight in a forest between Kakihum and Makuku before heading towards Maburya on Monday morning.
Sani said the armed group encountered a mobile police checkpoint while attempting to enter the community and overpowered the officers.
He alleged that 10 mobile policemen and two civilians were killed in the attack, while the bandits also took away rifles belonging to the slain officers.
Confirming the incident, spokesperson for the Kebbi State Police Command, DSP Bashir Usman, said 17 suspected bandits had so far been neutralised.
Usman said police operatives intercepted the heavily armed group as it moved between Zamfara and Kebbi states along the Rafin Makuku axis.
He added that four motorcycles belonging to the attackers were burnt during the confrontation.
The police spokesman, however, said the casualty figure remained subject to further verification.
Usman confirmed that 10 police personnel were killed in the engagement, while two others were injured and taken for medical treatment.
Two civilians also lost their lives during the clash.
He described the slain officers as gallant personnel who fought with courage and professionalism in the line of duty.
The command said its immediate priorities were to support the families of the deceased officers, care for the injured and intensify follow-up operations against fleeing members of the armed group.

