Press "Enter" to skip to content

Mourinho reveals why Real Madrid abandoned Rodri chase

Real Madrid manager Jose Mourinho has revealed that Rodri’s hesitation over moving to the Santiago Bernabeu forced the Spanish giants to abandon their pursuit of the midfielder.

Rodri had emerged as one of Madrid’s major summer targets before eventually completing a move from Manchester City to bitter rivals Barcelona.

Mourinho said Madrid made the Spain international an attractive proposal and that he personally spoke with the midfielder during negotiations.

“I spoke to him a couple of times and Real Madrid made him a very good offer,” Mourinho said in an interview with El Chiringuito.

However, the Portuguese coach said Rodri never appeared completely convinced about joining Madrid.

“Rodri had doubts, he hesitated and Rodri’s doubts created doubts for me,” Mourinho said.

“He is an extraordinary player and was very respectful with us, nothing negative to say.”

Mourinho’s revelation sheds fresh light on how Barcelona eventually beat their fierce rivals to one of the summer’s biggest transfers.

Rodri confirmed during his unveiling on Tuesday that Barcelona had been his preferred destination despite receiving other offers.

He cited the club’s football philosophy and sporting project among the attractions behind his decision.

The 30-year-old joined Barcelona from Manchester City in a deal worth an initial €60 million, with additional payments potentially taking the package higher. He signed a contract running until 2030.