Press "Enter" to skip to content

Wike Reveals Why Tinubu Could Have Won Osun Election

Nyesom Wike has made a striking claim about the Osun governorship election, suggesting the result could have been very different if President Bola Tinubu had chosen to use federal power more aggressively.



(Nyesom Wike. Photo by TheCable)

Federal Capital Territory Minister Nyesom Wike has claimed that President Bola Tinubu could have secured victory for the All Progressives Congress in the recent Osun State governorship election if he had decided to use the full force of the federal government to win “at all costs.”

Wike, who remains a member of the opposition Peoples Democratic Party, said Tinubu deliberately allowed the election to proceed without federal interference.

Speaking on Tuesday while inspecting flood-affected areas in Abuja, Wike said he would have supported the president if such federal intervention had been deployed.

He stated that if Tinubu had wanted to win the Osun election, nothing could have stopped the outcome.

The Osun election, held on August 15, was won by incumbent Governor Ademola Adeleke of the Accord party, who secured 19 of the 30 local government areas.

The APC candidate, Bola Oyebamiji, won 11 local governments.

Wike used the result to argue that the federal government did not interfere to favour the APC, saying the outcome would have been different if federal power had been deployed.

Wike suggested that Adeleke could have joined the APC if circumstances had worked out differently.

He also predicted that President Tinubu would face an easier election contest in 2027 compared to his 2023 campaign.

Wike attributed this to what he described as a weakened opposition, saying the opposition had been “crippled” and left without strength going into the next election.